Saturday, January 19, 2013

Meatball and Spinach Soup - Theirs vs. Mine

I saw a recipe in the local grocery store and thought it sounded wonderful.  I started to buy the ingredients and then realized this could be a very expensive meal and I just wasn't going to sacrifice that much money for soup.  So, I decided to take the recipe and use less expensive ingredients and see if it would turn out as well. 
This store makes these recipes up so people can taste them and like it enough to buy the ingredients that they have so conveniently right there beside the cooking stand.  I tasted theirs and I did mine.  Mine wins!

This is their recipe if you care to check it out so you can compare.
http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/AllRecipes/SimpleMeal.do?mealId=7488&mealGroupId=1000

This is mine.  I even made it in the crockpot so it was even easier.

Meatball and Spinach Soup
2 - 14 oz bags for premade Italian style or original meatballs (I bought mine at Aldi for $1.99 a bag)

1 box (9 oz.) of frozen chopped spinach - thawed         Bought mine when it was on sale 50% off

1 - 32 oz box of Chicken Broth (I used Tuscan style for the spices). 
Bought it BOGO - or you can use your own homemade.  If you use your own you may want to throw in a little basil, thyme and rosemary. 

1 medium onion chopped

2 stalks of celery chopped

2 cans of cannellini beans - drained (use generic store brand if available or whatever brand that is on sale).

2 cloves of chopped garlic

1 or 2 tablespoons of oil for sauteing.

Saute your onions and celery until the onions are softened.  Add your garlic and cook a about 2 minutes longer. 

Toss all the ingredients in the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours.  Makes 6 (good size) servings

No comments:

Post a Comment