Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Avocado Face Mask and Other Natural Beauty Experiments

Photo: Frenchbyte
In my ongoing effort to use natural resources and still stick to my frugal lifestyle, I do things that perhaps the average person may not do. In fact, when I wrote about washing my hair in baking soda for a week and making my own laundry detergent, many of my friends laughed at me, until I explained the savings. This time we're talking about putting something on my face or body that would normally go in recipes, and am here to tell the tale. (See also: 5 Hair Conditioners You Can Make at Home)

Face Masks

Egg

I remember as a kid that a sweet old lady in our church had the most amazing skin. As I got into my teens, I asked her about it and giggled when she revealed her secret: egg.
Egg? On your face?! At 15 I wasn't as willing to try such a treatment as I am now, but with a little encouragement, I did as she suggested: baked a batch of cookies! Now, this isn't the key to the story but it sure helps because you're not using the whole egg. Once you've used the yolk, the white part that remains in the shell is what you need. Yup, that tiny little bit at the end. Simply rub it on your face and wash it off when it turns hard.
It's not the kind of thing I do every day, by any stretch, but when I'm baking, I always use the leftover egg as a quick, inexpensive face mask.

Avocado

Mashing up an avocado until it looks like guacamole and then putting it on your face is not only incredibly cheap, but it's good for you and easy to apply. Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes while you relax and then wash off with warm water.

Banana and Milk

I have a friend who swears by this one, and once you get beyond the thought of adding breakfast to you face, it is a fun recipe that makes your face feel soft. Simply mash up one ripe banana, and then add enough milk to make a paste. Apply to your face for 20 minutes, and then rinse off.

Hand Exfoliator

What do oatmeal, an egg, and lemon juice make? If you're thinking yummy cookies, you're a little off base. While most people use such ingredients to cook with, some friends and I used them as a relaxing hand exfoliator and love it. Sure, it's a little gooey and gets all over (towels required!), but it works and we all gave it a hearty thumbs up. This gently exfoliating scrub will make your hands noticeably softer and smoother.
In a small bowl, mash:
  • 1/4 of a peeled avocado
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 tablespoons oatmeal
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Combine well and apply to your hands. Leave the mixture on for 20 minutes, then rinse in warm water and pat dry.

Foot Bath

For smooth and pretty feet, combine these ingredients in a foot bath:
  • 1 cup of lemon juice,
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil,
  • 1/4 cup milk and enough water to fill the basin.
  • Optional: Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for fragrance.
Soak feet for 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water. Do this once a week for several weeks for noticeably softer, smoother feet.
These recipes are not only simple and frugal but probably include many ingredients that you already have on hand — making them perfect for a relaxing evening.
This is a guest post by Clair Boone. She bought diapers for 20 cents a pack and earned the applause of the cashier checking her out. Over the past year, Clair's money-saving tips has helped thousands of people all over the U.S. save hundreds of dollars. Read more articles by Clair at her blog, Mummy Deals:

No comments:

Post a Comment