Friday, January 27, 2012

My First Blog Being Frugal Sally

This being my first blog I really shouldn't get on a rant, but I'm about to.  I just have to say it, "I hate excuses".  I've really heard them all, or at least I think I have.  People ask me all the time for advice on this or that.  I offer my suggestions and then it happens....the excuses.  I'm sorry, but didn't you ask for this information.  Was it just a conversation starter or are you open for the suggestions you asked for??  Can you at least listen before you have a line up of reasons this won't work for you?

Sorry folks, I don't sugar coat things very well.  If you ask me what to do I'm not going to say everything is okay and you are doing the right thing when you aren't.  If you ask, I'm going to tell you "no, you can't afford that", or "you need to get rid of your credit card debt before you take that vacation to Hawaii".  I have people that are literally crying because they can't pay their bills, but yet won't cut the cable or their cell phones!!  I swear if I hear "my husband/wife won't do that" one more time, I just may get violent. 

Just yesterday I had a friend ask me what she could do to cut her grocery bill.  I started to tell her about menu planning, freezer cooking, couponing, shopping the sales.  I went on for a good while and she had this look on her face that I have come to realize is the look of disinterest.  Then the excuses...well, I don't have time, and the kids won't eat leftovers, and we don't cook and, and, and, and.  My question is "And why did you ask?"

On the other hand, I want to thank those who ask, are genuinely interested and at least pretend to listen and make my time spent important.  It is up to you whether you take advice or not, I don't care either way.....but spare me the excuses!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for starting the blog...this rant is right on....and I get the same look from a few of my friends when I tell them how much I spend on groceries and they want to know how they can do that too. I do as you said, menu plan, shop the sales, canning/freezing, make master mixes, instead of convenience food and most of all "I" cook, not some fry cook at a burger joint....so tired of listening to the whining and excuses. Look forward to any and all information you're willing to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trisha, I thought this may offend people. So glad to hear other people feel the same way. I really appreciate the support!

      Delete