With the exception of one of the recipes below, you can make oven cleaners that are much safer for the environment than commercial products containing harsh chemicals. They’re also much more frugal!
- Fill a spray bottle with water and spray oven generously.
- Generously sprinkle baking soda over the water. Leave overnight.
- The next day wipe out much of the baking soda and grime.
- Soak a sponge in hot water, squeeze out excess water and scrub the inside of the oven with liquid dish detergent first drizzled over the sponge.
- Preheat oven to 200° then turn off.
- In an ovenproof dish, fill with ammonia and set on middle rack (about 1 to 2 cups of ammonia).
- In another ovenproof dish, fill with boiling water and set on bottom rack (2 cups).
- Leave overnight.
- The next morning, remove dishes and wipe down the inside with a hot wet sponge first drizzled with baking soda.
3 tsp Borax
1/4 cup vinegar
1/8 cup liquid dish soap
2 cups hot water
Baking soda (do not add to mix)
- Combine ingredients in a spray bottle and shake to mix.
- Spray mixture generously to cover surface completely.
- Sprinkle generous amounts of baking soda on top.
- Spray liquid mixture over the baking soda.
- Leave overnight.
- The next morning wipe out the cleaning mixture and wash the surface with hot soapy water.
1 cup baking soda
1/3 cup table salt
- Spray oven well with water.
- Mix together the dry ingredients then sprinkle over the water.
- Spray again with water.
- Leave overnight. Wipe out the next morning and scrub with hot soapy water.
- Place the racks in an extra large heavy-duty garbage bag, pour in a cup of ammonia and tie the bag closed (tightly).
- Set the garbage bag outside away from children and pets.
- The next day remove the racks and scrub them clean in hot soapy water.
- 20 Ways Vinegar Can Help Your Kitchen Sparkle: Remove Residue–Wipe the inside of your oven with vinegar to remove the residue left behind by cleaner. Also mentioned in Quick Tips For Kitchen Cleaning.
- 10 Easy Household Time Savers: Do a quick wipe inside the oven while doing the dishes, cleaning up any spills and splatters (wait until it’s cool enough to do so). Your appliance won’t need as many deep cleaning jobs and will never be nasty again!
- Line the bottom with a large foil baking sheet or a strip of aluminum foil to catch spills and drips.