Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Homemade Toothpaste Recipe – Easy and Frugal

As posted by DIYNatural.com


This recipe will take less than 5 minutes to prepare.
Why do I make my own homemade products? It all started when I made my first batch of homemade laundry detergent a few weeks back… since then I’ve been hooked! Now I am on a mission to make as many household products as I can. It saves me money and gives me a sense of joy and accomplishment! Up this week… homemade toothpaste!
When I make products I FOCUS ON EASE OF PRODUCTION, EFFECTIVENESS, and COST SAVINGS.
I am not only making this homemade toothpaste for the benefit of me and my family… I am also doing it for your benefit. I am passionate about empowering readers with the means necessary to increase both frugality and self-sufficiency.

SIMPLE INGREDIENTS

  • 2/3 cup baking soda
  • 4 tsp fine sea salt (optional – gives paste extra scrubbing power, but is okay to leave out if the taste is too salty)
  • 1 – 2 tsp peppermint extract or 10-15 drops peppermint essential oil (or add your favorite flavor – spearmint, orange, etc.)
  • water (add to desired consistency)

COST BREAKDOWN & SAVINGS

Here is the breakdown in cost analysis for 5.33oz of my homemade toothpaste (same amount as one tube of my old toothpaste):
  • baking soda @ 16oz = $1.00 | 2/3 cup is 5.33oz which = $0.33
  • fine sea salt @ 22oz = $2.00 | 4tsp is .66oz which = $0.06
  • peppermint extract @ 1oz = $3.00 | 2tsp is .33oz which = $1.04 | Better yet, use 1tsp is .17oz which = $0.52
(**note** you can use as much or as little peppermint or other flavor as you wish, add the flavoring little by little until you reach an amount you enjoy.)
Prior to making our own, we were using Tom’s of Maine Spearmint Gel® costing an average of $5.00 for a 5.2oz tube. Based on the calculations above the same amount of my homemade toothpaste will cost me between $0.91 and $1.43 for 5.33oz, depending on how much flavoring I use.
The cost savings will be between $4.09 – $3.57 per tube!
Aside from cost, there are many other benefits of homemade products. By making this toothpaste not only are we cutting costs by upwards of 300%, we also know the exact ingredients and count time spent as fun, educational, and useful for all involved!

A SIMPLE RECIPE & MAKING OF A BATCH

Remember, each batch yields the equivalent of one 5.3oz tube of toothpaste which you can store in a small storage container somewhere close to your toothbrush. When you are ready to brush, simply wet your toothbrush, scoop or spread as much paste as you like, and begin brushing.
**Update** If you are grossed out by double-dipping with others but don’t want to make separate batches – do as DFA reader Lakita of Paneh Praise suggests – put the paste in a Ziploc bag and cut the corner off for a homemade squeezable tube. Thanks Lakita!

1. Start with these ingredients:

2. Mix together and add water until paste reaches desired consistency.

That’s it! You’re done. Now go get rid of that bad breath!

A few FAQ’s and answers:

  1. Where should we store the paste? In a container of your choosing close to your tooth brush. I use a small plastic ware container.
  2. Should we each have our own container, or can we share with others in our family/roommates? If cooties bother you then get your own container… if not then don’t worry about it. My wife and I share one.
  3. How do we get it onto our toothbrush? Simply wet your brush, scoop or spread on some paste, and brush away.
  4. Does this really work? Yes. I actually like it better than store bought and find it gets rid of onion and garlic breath better than any toothpaste I have ever used.
  5. Where do I get the ingredients? At pretty much any store, or you can buy them online through the links above.
  6. Is this toothpaste bad for me? No. But that is just my opinion since I am not a dentist, and because these claims have not been evaluated by the FDA. That said… all ingredients are commonly used products and otherwise regarded as utterly safe.
  7. What about fluoride, don’t we need it? Not in my opinion. Research I have done reveals fluoride as a toxic poison. Dentists typically say it is beneficial when applied to the teeth of children, but I encourage you to do a little research of your own… I’m guessing you’ll come out holding the same opinion as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment