Monday, January 30, 2012

GREEN and FRUGAL - DIY Disinfectant Cleaning Wipes

I used to be obsessed with disinfectant wipes. I kept them everywhere. In the kitchen, bathrooms, dining room, toy room (of course they were high enough so the kids could not get into them), I even kept some outside to wipe down the patio table. They were so convenient. Sticky fingerprints on the table - grab a wipe, bathroom counter needs cleaned - grab a wipe, sticky kitchen counters - grab a wipe, teething toy fell in the dirt - grab a wipe.
Of course this obsession was short lived when I realized how much I was spending on those bad boys. Not to mention all of the harmful chemicals that they contain.
Here is my new solution


DIY Disinfectant Wipes
Want to make your own?
Here is what you'll need


  1. Paper towels
  2. Vinegar
  3. Air tight container (baby wipe containers are perfect)

I had the select-a-size paper towels and started folding them in an accordion fold. After folding the desired amount (I used around 20) tear off from the rest of the roll and cut your paper towels in half.


Stack the two halves on top of each other and place inside of your container. Pour 1 cup vinegar into container. close and set aside until paper towels soak up all the liquid. And voila...



Notes:
  1. I found several websites that suggested cutting the entire roll of paper towels in half and sticking one half inside a larger container such as an old coffee grounds container. This would be a lot easier than folding all of the paper towels but it would not fit in the container I had. Do what works best for you.
  2. I used vinegar as suggested in this article. If you do not like the strong vinegar scent there are several other recipes found online.




Thank you goes to DIYhshp.com for the recipe and tips.

1 comment:

  1. It doesn’t hurt to place disinfectant wipes all over your house. That’s actually healthy as it helps you keep your area germ free. Creating your own wipes will be more efficient as it keeps you from spending. I’m glad that you always feel satisfied to keep those helpful things around your house. That’s one sure way to promote health and wellness =)

    Trinidad Philipps

    ReplyDelete