"This is my lower fat version of a pumpkin bread recipe using extra pumpkin and no oil. You can also substitute artificial sweetener for half of the sugar, and some whole wheat flour for nutrition, and they still taste great. They freeze very well; just microwave a frozen muffin for 20 to 30 seconds and it's ready."
Addictive Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 6 eggs
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Grease three 12 cup muffin pans, or line with paper muffin liners. Soak raisins in hot water for ten minutes to plump, then drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground cloves. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, pumpkin, and applesauce, until smooth. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly to make a smooth batter. Stir the raisins and walnuts into the batter. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.